Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

My Roommate Is a Vampire: A Fang-tastic Rom-Com

My Roommate is a Vampire book cover
My Roommate Is a Vampire by Jenna Levine

Genres: Romance, Comedy, Paranormal

Pages: 352

Format: eBook

My Rating: 🧛🏻‍♂️🧛🏻‍♂️🧛🏻‍♂️

If you're in the mood for a light and amusing read that doesn't take itself too seriously, My Roommate Is a Vampire by Jenna Levine might just be your next read. It's a hilarious and fang-tastic story of a struggling artist who finds out that her new roommate is a centuries-old bloodsucker. But what could possibly go wrong?

The book follows Cassie Greenberg, a 32-year-old aspiring artist who is barely making ends meet in Chicago. She's on the verge of being evicted from her tiny apartment when she stumbles upon a too-good-to-be-true offer on Craigslist: a spacious room in a gorgeous apartment for only $200 a month. Little does she know that her new roommate, Frederick J. Fitzwilliam, is not only mysteriously handsome and talks like he's from another century but also a vampire! Intrigued? So was I!

As I sank my teeth into this book, I must say, the story had me captivated from the start. The concept of a struggling artist finding an affordable room and discovering her roommate is a charming vampire was intriguing, to say the least. The first chapters had me eagerly flipping the pages, excited to see where Cassie and Frederick's dynamic would lead.

While the romance didn't reach the passionate heights I had hoped for, the chemistry between Cassie and Frederick was undeniably entertaining. Their interactions had a playful charm, with moments of tension and slow burn. I found myself rooting for their bond to deepen and their relationship still managed to put a smile on my face. But their romance isn’t without complications as Frederick has to deal with his haunting past.

In general, the book is well-written, fast-paced, and engaging. It has the perfect balance of humor and romance that will keep you hooked. The book also has some fun references to Twilight and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

But I’ll be honest and say that the twists aren’t very mind-blowing or convincing. The book has some inconsistencies and plot holes that will make you wonder what went wrong, yet it doesn't explain these things very well.

Here's where things get a little wonky. The introduction of Frederick's mother and the Jamesons in the book felt like a plot twist that didn't quite hit the mark for me. While I appreciate the author’s attempt to add depth and complexity to the story, it somewhat disrupted the flow and tone that had initially drawn me in. It felt like a sudden bump in the road, as it didn't overshadow the overall enjoyment of the story.

Also, we're led to believe that Fredrick is this gentleman who coexists with humans in peace and gets stuck being a vampire against his will. But guess what? Later in the book, we learn that he was a total wild vampire in his past life, feasting on anyone he pleased, but he changed drastically because he despises his own kind. He tells Cassie: “I haven’t always lived as I do now, Cassie. In my younger days I ate as others of my kind did, and f*cked anyone on two legs. Men, women, humans—everything.” Talk about a 180-degree transformation! How does someone in a 200-year coma go from a bloodthirsty killer to a peaceful creature? It's a head-scratcher, for sure.

And then there's Reginald, Fredrick’s friend/enemy. We're initially led to believe that he taught Fredrick everything about the modern world before he met Cassie. But out of nowhere, Fredrick starts spouting off about how vampires are bad and brutal and how he tries to change Reginald for better! It's a twist that I just can't wrap my head around.

Oh, and let's not forget Fredrick’s age. He goes from 320 years old to 351 in just one year. I mean, how is that even possible? It's pretty bizarre and doesn’t make any sense, even for a vampire tale.

As for the ending, to be fair, it was so rushed and unrealistic, leaving some loose ends and unanswered questions.

In a nutshell, I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. It may not have completely blown me away, but it still managed to keep me entertained with its humorous banter and quirky characters. It was a fun and flirty read, but it could have been better. So, if you're looking for a light and fluffy read, then you might enjoy My Roommate Is a Vampire. 

Comments