Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV

Quiet on Set: the Dark side of Kids TV

Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV

Genres: Docuseries

Age Rating: TV-14

Episodes: 5

Once I finished watching “Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV”, I felt a mix of emotions swirling inside me. It’s not just a docuseries. It’s a glimpse of hidden struggles behind the supposedly cheerful world of children’s TV.

When I was a kid, I never really thought much about what went behind the scenes of my favorite shows. I mean, who would? But now, as an adult, looking back at some things just don’t sit right.

From the very first episode of the docuseries, it’s obvious that it focuses on Nickelodeon. And I have to say that Nick was one of my favorite TV channels as a kid growing up in the 2000s. So, it’s heartbreaking to know about the pressures child actors faced on and off camera. 

The docuseries reveals how these child actors suffered. Some of them were exploited for profit and others got pushed to their limits, while some others fell victim to the darker side of fame.

Remember those scenes with too much slime or those close-ups on feet? As a kid, I never found them creepy. However, seeing them now through my adult eyes, it’s clear they weren’t appropriate for young audiences. I wonder how no one on set of these shows never considered the impact of such content on children.

One of the most shocking revelations from the documentary is the story of Brandi, a former child actor. My heart absolutely goes with Brandi. Her mother knew about the sick acts of Jason Handy, a former production assistant at Nickelodeon, toward her daughter. Yet, she hesitated to call the police, afraid of being judged as a bad mom. It breaks my heart that Brandi’s mother prioritized reputation over her child’s safety. This reflects the immense pressure parents often face in the entertainment industry.

On the other hand, there’s the case of Drake Bell, who has spoken out against abuse. I remember being a fan of “Drake and Josh”, and I never would have guessed that he had such a traumatizing experience behind the scenes. 

Sadly, not only child actors were humiliated at Nick but also adult women. Two former female writers who were behind major Nick shows faced gender discrimination. It’s disturbing watching them both share details of their experience of working with Dan Schneider.

Overall, Quiet on Set is an eye-opening docuseries that exposes the hidden realities of the kids TV. It’s a wake-up call to remind us that not everything is what it seems to be and that we need to be more vigilant in protecting vulnerable kids. The docuseries is a must-watch for anyone who cares about the welfare of children and the integrity of the shows they consume.


Comments