Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: Martyr!

Book Review: The Familiar

The Familiar by Leigh Bardugo

The Familiar by Leigh Bardugo

Genres: Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Romance

Pages: 387

My Rating:

Well... This is gonna be a short review cause I’ve already wasted too much of my time on this book. I’m still trying to figure out how I managed to come this far with it.

Reading "The Familiar" by Leigh Bardugo felt like me talking to my cat and expecting her to talk back. I mean, I tried, I really did. I wanted so bad to love this book. I wanted to be swept away by the story, to fall in love with the characters. But instead, I found myself struggling to stay awake. 

I’m so disappointed in this book, I had so high expectations. Too high they hit the ceiling. Sadly, it let me down so badly. The plot was super boring. The characters were as bland as spinach. I couldn't connect with them at all. 

I had to DNF at 37% cause I couldn’t drag myself any further through this snoozefest. I mean, life is short. So, why waste time on a book that's going nowhere when there are so many other amazing books out there waiting to be read? I don't see myself giving this book a second chance. Once was more than enough.

And the weird part? I feel like the odd one out. Everywhere I look, there are 5-star ratings for this book. Good for them, I guess. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But for me, "The Familiar" just wasn't my cup of hot chocolate. It was more like a cup of warm soda - bland, dull, and utterly forgettable.

So, there you have it. “The Familiar” gets a whopping 1-star rating from me. I highly recommend it for anyone suffering from insomnia, it will put you to sleep faster than anything, I promise.

Comments