Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Midsommar: A Daytime Horror Experience

movie poster of Midsommar with Dani wearing a flower crown and crying

Midsommar (2019)

Running Time: 2h 28m

Age Rating: R

Genre: Horror, Drama, Mystery

My Rating: 💐

With its colorful and bizarre storyline, this movie left me feeling utterly uncomfortable and disturbed, questioning my own sanity. As I sat down to watch Midsommar, I naively expected a light-hearted summer flick, filled with sunshine and laughter. Oh, how wrong I was!

Instead, I found myself immersed in a world of unsettling rituals and ominous customs, leaving me in a state of constant shock and disbelief. This movie was very disturbing and creepy; it made me feel so uncomfortable, with all these happy-looking Swedish people and their unnerving smiles and bizarre rituals, making my skin crawl.

Midsommar is about a group of American friends who travel to Sweden to attend a midsummer festival in a remote commune. They are invited by a Swedish exchange student who is part of a cult-like community. The friends are initially fascinated by the colorful and bizarre rituals, but soon realize that they are in for a nightmare of violence, gore, and madness.

a female surrounded by flowers wearing flower crown

The movie is not your typical horror film; those ones shot in the dark with creepy music played in the background. On the contrary, it has bright sunlight, vivid colors, and happy folk songs to confuse the shit out of you to the extent you won’t see the horrific events coming.

The cinematography is undeniably stunning, with the vibrant color palette, which added a layer of discomfort to the experience. The movie is without a doubt graphic; it left me shocked and scared. Trust me when I tell you that it might cause you emotional damage.

I wish I could unsee this movie because it really had a long-term negative impact on me. It's very bizarre and grotesque; it will make you hate humanity. It’s not recommended at all for faint-hearted people due to the emotional harm it might cause. Do yourself a favor and avoid it for your own sanity.

Comments