Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982: A Powerful and Moving Novel That Speaks to Every Woman

an image of the book cover of Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-Joo with a faceless woman on

Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-joo

Genres: Fiction, Feminism, Contemporary

Pages: 181

Format: Paperback

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I picked up this book after hearing about the buzz it created in South Korea and worldwide. I was curious to learn more about the life and struggles of Kim Jiyoung, a woman who was born in 1982. What I found was a novel that touched me deeply and made me reflect on my own experiences as a woman in a patriarchal society.

The novel tells the story of Jiyoung, from her birth to her adulthood, as she faces various forms of discrimination, harassment, and oppression in her family, school, workplace, and society. She's constantly expected to sacrifice her dreams, desires, and happiness for the sake of others, especially men. She's treated as inferior and invisible by those who should love and respect her. She suffers from depression, anxiety, and mental breakdowns as a result of the constant pressure and injustice she endures.

The novel is written in a simple and straightforward style, but it's full of emotion and insight. The author uses facts and statistics to support her narrative and show the reality of gender inequality in South Korea. The novel is not only a personal story of Jiyoung, but also a collective story of millions of women who share similar experiences. It's not only a critique of the patriarchal system, but also a call for change and empowerment against sexism.

I was moved by Jiyoung’s story and felt a strong connection with her. I could relate to many of her feelings and situations, as I have also faced similar incidents in my life. I felt angry, sad, frustrated, and hopeful as I read her story. I admired her resilience and compassion. I also learned a lot from her story and gained a new perspective on the issues that women face in different cultures and contexts.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a powerful and moving novel; it speaks to every woman. It'll make you appreciate your own strengths and values. If you truly believe in both gender equality and human dignity, “Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982” is definitely the perfect choice to read. 

Comments