Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance: A Vengeful Mess

movie poster of Sympathy for Mr Vengeance with park holding a knife and choking Ryu
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)

Running Time: 2h 9m

Age Rating: R

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

My Rating: A solid zero 💩

Oh boy, where do I even begin? I’ve been completely traumatized by Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Before watching this movie, I wasn’t prepared I’d find myself nosediving into the abyss of repulsion, perversion, and violence. The more I watched the movie, the more I couldn’t take it anymore; and I didn’t even make it to the ending, because sympathy for my lost time.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is the first movie of Park Chan-Wook’s Vengeance Trilogy. It follows the story of Ryu, our dear protagonist, who’s a shining example of blandness and stupidity. Ryu is laid off from his work when he desperately needs money for his sister's kidney transplant. He gets scammed by black market organs dealers for selling them his own kidney.

In an unimaginably brilliant move, Ryu and his girlfriend decide to kidnap the innocent daughter of his former boss’s wealthy friend, Park. Because, you know, kidnapping is always a reasonable solution to financial problems. Bravo, Ryu! Your decision-making skills are truly commendable.

So, the kid is kidnapped, and she likes her kidnappers; they ask her dad for a ransom of the same sum as the surgery of Ryu’s sister would cost. Everything goes well and smoothly because what could go wrong with a plan like that?

At this precise moment, I found myself eagerly anticipating the disaster that was surely to come.

And guess what, I was right! An unexpected twist befalls our dear sweet kidnappers; the poor, helpless souls, are struck down by life's unfairness. Oh, how tragic!

But wait, there’s more! The cringy couple find themselves facing a chain of violent events full of nauseating blood and perverted torturing methods after Park learns about who abducted his daughter. The wealthy dude is thirsty for revenge now, with his acts of vengeance leaving a trail of bodies.

I was struggling throughout the entire movie, and I kept pushing myself to finish it, but I immediately stopped watching once that scene with one of the organs dealers practicing necrophilia showed up. I failed to make it to the ending of this bullshit of a movie because enough is enough!

It's truly inspiring to witness the depths of depravity that humanity can reach. Bravo, Park Chan-Wook for showing us the true meaning of repulsion!

From the very beginning of the movie to when I stopped watching, it was filled with disturbing scenes and unexplained blood and gore. Park Chan-Wook seems to revel in showcasing the most grotesque and stomach-churning acts imaginable. I understand that violence can be a tool for artistic expression, but in Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, it serves no apparent purpose.

Overall, I really hated Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance; it wasn’t a pleasant experience watching it by all means. All I came up with after watching this movie was a migraine and nausea. Thanks, Park Chan-Wook, you truly have a way of making me lose my appetite with your artistry.

To sum up, this repulsive disaster will surely leave you longing for the time you'll never get back. So, if you have a thing for confusion and disgust, feel free to watch this vomit-inducing movie. However, I highly recommend you to never watch Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Trust me, your stomach will thank you.

Comments