Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

How I Try to Make Shit Tolerable as an Adult

Being an adult sucks. And life is hard, messy, and full of shit. There, I said it. I'm sure many of you can relate to this. The feeling of being overwhelmed by responsibilities, expectations, and pressures. The feeling of being stuck in a rut, doing the same things over and over again. The feeling of being bored, unhappy, and unfulfilled.

But hey, that's life, right? We have to suck it up and deal with it. We have to put on a brave face and pretend that everything is fine. We have to keep going and hope that things will get better someday.

But what if they don't? What if this is as good as it gets? What if we are doomed to live a mediocre and miserable life?

That's a scary thought. And that's why I try to make shit tolerable. I try to find ways to cope with the challenges and difficulties that life throws at me. I try to find ways to add some spice and flavor to my dull and bland routine. I try to find ways to make myself happy and satisfied.

How do I do that? Well, here are some of the things I do when everything sucks:

- I accept the shit and laugh it off: As an adult, I know that shit happens, and it’s not always my fault. Sometimes, things are out of control, and I can’t change them. Instead of resisting or denying the reality, I try to stay positive and deal with it as it is and find humor in the shit happening. Accepting the shit in our life and laughing it off has been always helpful to lighten me up and free up my energy for more productive and positive actions.

- I pursue my passions: Being passionate about something makes life worth living. Believe me when I tell you that it feels amazing when I make time for things I enjoy doing and invest in them. That’s why I do my best to write more and express myself. It’s somehow therapeutic for me to write down my thoughts and feelings. And, of course, I read books. Reading is my favorite hobby, and it allows me to escape from reality and helps me relax and unwind after a long day. So, maybe it’s your call to pursue your passion, whatever it is, with enthusiasm and dedication.

- I practice self-care: This may sound obvious, but it's something that many of us neglect or ignore. We tend to put ourselves last, sacrificing our health and well-being for the sake of others or our work. But that's not sustainable or healthy. That’s why I always remind myself of how much I need to take care of myself first before I can take care of anything else. One needs to eat well, sleep well, exercise well, and relax well. We need to treat ourselves with kindness and compassion. We need to love ourselves as we are.

- I connect with others: Another thing that makes life easier is having people who we care about and who care about us. People who we can talk to, laugh with, cry with, hug with. People who we can trust, support, and rely on. People who we can love and be loved by. Whoever they are, we need to appreciate them sincerely and gratefully for being in our life.

- I let go. I always try my best to release the shit that is holding me back. Sometimes, we cling to negative thoughts that are no longer serving us, such as regrets, fears, or expectations. These things can weigh us down and prevent us from moving forward. So, instead of holding on to the shit, let it go. At the end of the day, we’re human beings and we need to forgive ourselves and others. Letting go can help you free yourself and make room for new and better things.

These are some of the things I do, and they may not be enough to solve all my problems or make me happy all the time, but they do help me cope with everyday struggles. They may help you as well, or maybe you have your own ways of making shit tolerable. Whatever they are, I hope you keep doing them because life is too short and precious to waste on shit. 


Comments