Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Book Review: Book Lovers by Emily Henry

Book Lovers by Emily Henry

Book Lovers by Emily Henry

Genres: Romance, Fiction, Chick-Lit

Pages: 377

Format: Hardcover

My Rating: ðŸ“–

I picked up Book Lovers by Emily Henry thinking it’d be the perfect Valentine’s Day date. And I confess, I had high hopes for this book because of the so many positive reviews floating around online. 

Sadly, as a book lover myself, I found it to be a total flop. It turned out to be one of the most boring books I’ve ever read that I couldn’t even finish.

Well, I completely understand that everyone has different tastes, but seriously, I struggled to see what the hype was all about.

Page after page, I found this book put-downable and uninteresting and I ended up failing to connect with the story.

The story starts with Nora, our main character whom I couldn’t relate to at all, getting dumped by her son-of-a-billionaire boyfriend Grant, who leaves her for a woman he just met. Instead of showing some emotional heartbreak and turmoil, Nora reacts by cracking jokes and mocking Grant for ditching his fancy lifestyle for some new flame.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a strong female lead, but Nora is really heartless and snobby, and I feel bad that I don’t blame any of her ex-boyfriends for dumping her.

In the book, Nora describes herself as a “frigid, evil robot”, and I like how she’s fully aware of being a psycho who lacks emotions. 

Let’s not forget Nora’s sister, Libby. Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m all for quirky characters, but Libby? Nah… I literally rolled my eyes every single time Libby appeared on the page. And believe me when I tell you that she was on almost every single page.

And I gotta admit I couldn't get invested in the novel at all, with Nora and Libby leading the way. 

Now, let's talk about the romance- or lack thereof. As far as I know, there's supposed romance between Nora and Charlie, but I kept reading on and on, waiting for something, anything, to happen, and it never came.

The relationship between Nora and Charlie is as bland as white bread; it has zero chemistry, zero spark – just zero everything. I tried to stick it out, I really did, but eventually, I got bored to death and I had to DNF. 

At some point, I couldn't bring myself to finish this book. It was just too dull to hold my attention. And I swear, I tried. But life's too short to waste on books that don't do it for you, you know?

The only good thing about Book Lovers is that I didn’t buy it and wasted my money on it, instead, I borrowed it from a friend. Sometimes god’s plan works perfectly without you even realize.

Yet, I can’t help but feel a twinge of regret for choosing Book Lovers as my introduction to Emily Henry’s work. But I’m still willing to give her other books a shot.

Comments