Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Film Review: The Idea of You

Solene and Hayes
The Idea of You (2024)

Running Time: 1h 55m

Age Rating: R

Genres: Romance, Comedy, Drama

My Rating: 🎸🎸🎸

Unrealistic, cheesy, yet irresistibly sweet! The “Idea of You” is simply a perfect watch for hopeless romantics. It’s full of cliché moments, but somehow, I ended up liking it.

Well, I gotta admit that once the credits rolled, I had some questions in mind. Was the entire plot believable? Would it happen in real life? Yeah, sure! Only if the woman is as pretty as Anne Hathaway.

I recently learned that the film is an adaptation of a book of the same name by Robinne Lee. I usually read the book first before watching its adaptation. However, this time was an exception. I actually watched the film cause I had no idea the book existed in the first place. Maybe I’d give the book a shot, still not sure.

Solene and Hayes

Generally speaking, I enjoyed the chemistry between Solène and Hayes. Both Anne Hathaway and Nicolas Galitzine are talented actors; they did a great job saving the somewhat super-cheesy storyline. But, to me, the film missed its whole point, which is the age gap between the two of them, as Hathaway and Galitzine looked like they belonged to the same age group the whole time.

The most awkward aspect of the film is whenever Solène reminds Hayes of being old enough to be his mom. I’m sure no one would notice the age gap that was being ranted about throughout the movie.

As much as I liked the film, I couldn’t help but feel weird to see a boyband star in his 20s almost stalking a 40-year-old mom. It was even creepier to see Solene super cool about this all. Anyway, who am I to judge? Both characters are adults, they can do whatever they want.

Solene and Hayes

There were moments that brought tears to my eyes, especially that scene when Solène asked Hayes "you wanna know the worst thing that can happen when you open up to someone?" That scene kinda hit me hard. That scene was so real, Anne was spectacular. Her performance was genuine, I couldn’t tell if she was acting at all or speaking from personal experience. And I had no choice but to relate and cry.

Later on, before the movie ends, Solène’s daughter Izzy asks if Hayes is a feminist. This question was so out of context, and it had me wondering: Is this a feminist film? Definitely, no.

I don’t think it was a feminist film in any way. I haven’t seen any woman struggling and fighting for her rights in the movie. On the contrary, the film shows a young man falling in love with a middle-aged mom and completely ignoring the age gap. But, let’s be honest, this woman isn’t your average middle-aged woman. It’s Anne Hathaway! So, If we’re talking real world, a popstar wouldn’t have even noticed her if she didn’t look the way she does.

Solene and Hayes

As for the ending, I don't mind it at all. It was super-duper unrealistic, yet I still liked it cause I’m a sucker for happy endings. Not gonna lie, it was a bit rushed, but I’d rather watch a rushed ending than a boring one.

All in all, “The Idea of You” is more of a light rom-com that portrays a relationship between a young man and an older woman in a not-so-overly-dramatic way.  I personally enjoyed watching them together challenging the society that stereotypes their relationship as socially unacceptable. And that’s it.

Comments