Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Series Review: Baby Reindeer

Baby Reindeer

Baby Reindeer (2024) 

Streaming Network: Netflix

Genres: Drama, Dark Comedy, Biographical

Age Rating: 18+

Episodes: 7

My Rating: 🦌🦌

Have you ever been catfished by a series? Cause I’ve just been catfished by Netflix’s Baby Reindeer. When I thought it’d be a dark comedy show, it turned out to be just dark. I literally don’t know what the hell I watched. And the fact it’s based on a true story makes it even more hellish.

I actually had no plans at all to watch the show. But, since literally everyone I know is talking about it, my curiosity drove me to find out what all the hype is about. Now, after I’ve already seen the entire series, I wish I hadn’t done that.

Donny and Martha at the bar
I wasn’t planning to write this review either cause I don’t wanna offend anyone with my opinion of the series. Having an opinion about this series feels more like invading someone’s privacy since it’s a real story.

Well, I’m gonna be honest, the series had a great premise. I was hooked until I watched the infamous episode 4. The first 3 episodes are actually good, they got me intrigued. I was super engrossed in the story of Donny being stalked by Martha until all went downhill from episode 4.

Knowing that the main character role, Donny Dunn, was played by Richard Gadd who experienced all this mess in real life left me traumatized yet confused. Watching him make a stupid decision after another was nerve-wracking. I don’t wanna be rude, but Donny Dunn is probably the dumbest character I’ve ever seen on screen.

Donny and Martha

To me, the show was emotionally intense. I honestly had to skip some scenes cause I couldn’t handle them. I’m not the kind of a person who can handle such scenes and I don’t think something abhorrent like rape should be explicitly portrayed on screen. So, I’m really appalled at the fact that Gadd reexperienced all the abuse on screen. 

By the end of the series, my sympathy for Donny completely vanished. Throughout the show, he portrays himself as a victim when he’s clearly not a saint. He’s mentally ill with weird fetishes and fantasies, and I felt sorry for both Teri and his ex-girlfriend. All I saw was him being obsessed with Martha as much as Martha was obsessed with him. Donny is obviously a self-centered guy who seeks attention and fishes for it. 

Donny and Teri

And I hate to be judgmental, but his monologue in episode 6 convinced me he’s just hungry for fame. Donny himself admitted he kept visiting Darrien multiple times on his own free will hoping he would become famous one day, despite the sick acts this man did to him. And I don’t know why on earth would a sane person visit his rapist’s house years after what happened and acts so cool as if nothing happened.

In terms of dark comedy, to me, the series fell short of the mark. I found most of the jokes Donny made utterly terrible, they weren’t funny at all. Every scene with him in front of an audience doing whatever he was doing felt embarrassing. I’m not sure but I believe every single joke included was nothing but sexual innuendo. And I really can’t blame the audience for not laughing.

Donny the baby reindeer

All I know is that Donny’s dad is the real victim, and my heart goes to him and all the survivors in this cruel world. Also, I hope the nice bartender from the final scene is safe and sound if he exists in real life. And I wish all the best for the real Teri.

Comments