Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

The Heiress by Rachel Hawkins

The Heiress by Rachel Hawkins

My rating: 1 of 5 stars
Genres: Thriller, Mystery, Fiction
Pages: 281

Excuse me, but what was that all about?!...
This is the worst book I’ve read in 2024 so far. It was too boring, it cured my insomnia.

I should have known it was going to be deadly dull. The blurb was tl,dr, I should have skipped the whole book. But nope! I read it all. Guess I’m a glutton for punishment.

Also, I want to make it clear that I was expecting a thrilling mystery. In fact, it wasn't in the slightest.

I kept reading, waiting, and waiting for any interesting thing to happen. But barely anything happened. No suspense, no character development, no story-building. There was nothing to enjoy about this book. I hate to say this, but "The Heiress" is a lame book, even the twists were very predictable and barely shocking.

The story flips between 2 POVs, Jules and Camden, with some letters by Ruby McTavish. The letters were kinda fine, but not to the extent that made me want to stay for more. And there were some random interviews and announcements thrown in here and there just to confuse me enough.

The novel is short, not gonna lie. But the pace was really slow. I thought it’d be a quick-read but it dragged on and on, and I have no idea how I managed to finish it. I dozed off multiple times while reading and I almost gave up at 41%. However, I forced myself to complete it cause I paid for it. I was easily fooled by the gorgeous cover.

The fact Camden didn't want anything to do with his family, ignoring everything he inherited, got on my nerves so badly. I can't deny his family was the worst. Each member was an absolute asshole. But, sorry man, this is stupid!

The murders were sooooo ridiculous and pointless. I don’t know what was wrong with Ruby! She was one sick woman with serious mental issues. While I didn't care about all her husbands, I felt a bit sorry for Andrew. What did Andrew do to deserve such a fate?!

Every character in this book was either a greedy jerk or simply a snob murderer who got away with it. And I hated nothing more than the way every murderer was justifying their acts as if it’s too normal to kill whoever you don’t like!!! I really wonder, what was the author thinking when she wrote this? The whole thing was a mundane, unrealistic mess?

And for the love of books, what was with all these F-bombs?! 92 in only 17 chapters!! Why?! Seriously, why?! I’m usually not bothered by offensive language in most books. But this one was overkill for real.

I also noticed many compare this book to “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” and I have no clue why. I haven’t read that one yet, but it's on my reading list. So far, I can tell both books have a woman in a green dress on the cover. So, yeah, the covers look similar.

It was a hideous experience reading “The Heiress”. To me, the plot was 404 not found, the writing style was dull and slow-paced. There was nothing thrilling about this book. This was my first and last book by Rachel Hawkins. I vow not to repeat my mistake and read anything by her ever.

Comments