Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Book Review: The Colorado Kid

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

My rating: 1 of 5 stars
Genres: Mystery, Fiction, Crime, Thriller
Format: Audiobook

I regret listening to the audiobook of "The Colorado Kid" by Stephen King, and I wish I could get those hours of my life back.
I knew from the start that this book was about an unsolved mystery. Yet, I was expecting King to throw in a final twist, and I was eager to spot any clue that might unveil anything. Spoiler alert: he didn’t.

The plot is lackluster. It’s just two old reporters yammering on about a mysterious murder that occurred on an island, telling the story to their intern. And nothing really happens. Seriously, that's it. 

It has no action, no suspense, and no resolution. Just endless blabbering about the murder case that failed to pique my interest or make me care about the guy who was found dead on the beach.

I found no reason to be invested in such a book. It’s all so meh. Listening to the audiobook with the two old reporters was pure torture. They kept belittling the female intern, patting her hand, and constantly referring to her beauty. I get it, they’re supposed to be old-school and stuff, but the whole dialogue turned out super cringy. I really couldn't stand those cheesy old geezers. 

Not to mention the hideous writing style. It was unbearable as well. The characters’ development was clearly absent, and the pace was slower than a snail in a race with a tortoise. This book literally makes reading the back of shampoo bottles sound interesting.

The Colorado Kid is hands down one of the most boring books I’ve ever come across. I literally dozed off more than once while listening to the over-three-hour audiobook. 

Before picking it up, I was looking for a gripping mystery. Sadly, it’s not what I expected at all. I forced myself to listen to the end cause I just wanted it to be over.

I’ve never thought in my life that Stephen King would write such a snoozefest. I’m surprised that many already enjoyed that book cause it’s too dull to me.

Comments