Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review: The Heiress

Book Review: I’m Glad My Mom Died

I'm Glad My Mom Died
I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy

Genres: Non-Fiction, Autobiography

Format: Audiobook

Length: 6h 26m

My Rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

I picked up “I’m Glad My Mom Died” by Jennette McCurdy out of sheer curiosity. After I watched the docuseries “Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV”, I wanted to know more about the world of child acting from Jennette’s perspective. I was curious about what she would say about Dan Schneider, aka “the Creator”.

I used to watch iCarly when I was a kid. I remember watching Jennette forcing emotions and clearly uncomfortable to act, unlike most of her co-stars. And never had I ever thought she had such a life behind the scenes. I personally wish her mom never forced her to pursue acting as a career or do anything she wasn’t interested in.

Listening to the audiobook felt like sitting down with Jennette as she poured her heart out. Despite the book’s provocative name and being represented as a mixed bag of tragedy and comedy, I only found tragedy. There was no comedy at all in the book.

At some point, I felt sorry for the mother. I thought, maybe the woman already knew she was a goner. That she wouldn’t have beaten cancer. And that’s why she was harsh on Jennette, wanting a better future for her daughter. At first, I thought her mom wasn’t that bad and Jennette did her dirty.

But, the more I listened to the story, the more I was convinced the mother was somehow demanding, and maybe even manipulative. She pushed her daughter into something that made her unhappy, which made Jennette struggle with serious issues. From bulimia and anorexia to body issues and psychological problems, Jannette paid the price of the life her mom chose for her. I was shocked that her mom made her drink Red Bull when she was just a kid.

For sure, I feel sorry for Jennette for all the things she had to face in her childhood. I completely understand that she had a difficult life as an adult too. Her mom desperately wanted to live her life through Jennette. And I can’t deny that her mom seemed sort of a narcissist, but I doubt she ever realized that.

While part of me believes that Jennette didn’t hate fame, I think how her mother controlled her decisions made her the way she is now. Not to mention, her acting sessions with Miss Lasky. They were a nightmare. These sessions probably affected her childhood majorly, especially when Jennette wasn’t so into acting back then. Adding to that, Jennette was raised a Mormon. I have zero knowledge of Mormonism, but she made it sound like hell.

As much as I appreciate Jennette’s raw honesty, I couldn’t help but feel bad I found her a bit whiny. She was blaming others, mainly her mother, for many things that weren’t anyone’s fault. The parts she talks about her relationships with ex-boyfriends were kinda disturbing. To me at least. Something about her relationships with these guys made me somehow uncomfortable while listening. 

Last but not least, if you’re planning to pick up this book, consider the audiobook. Jennette narrates it herself, and listening to her reading her own story adds a layer of authenticity. Yet, I gotta say her reading was a bit flat at times, lacking emotional depth. Maybe the writing is the one to blame.

In the end, I’m Glad My Mom Died is Jennette McCurdy’s story of struggle, self-discovery, and overcoming personal demons. It was a heavy dose of tragedy that needed a trigger warning. And I have to say it made me wonder if there’s any child actor who grew up normally and left me concerned about kids off-screen.

Comments